Friday, September 4, 2015

Since I have a toddler, I have become much more aware of what I say and how often I say certain words. In case you've never been around a toddler, they like to repeat everything you say. My toddler says my goodness, snuggle, love you, and books more often than I ever would have thought. I love that she says these so often. It's adorable. The word she says the most, however, is no.

I have come to realize that I say no even more often than my toddler, and not just to my toddler, but to everyone. It is my default answer to almost everything. I don't think about it. I don't weigh the options. I just say no, to my husband, my mother-in-law, and even myself automatically.

Why is no my go to answer? I have no idea. I don't like it though. I want to actually think before saying yes, no, or any other response. Having my toddler say no so often makes me more aware of how often I say no. I'm trying hard to think before I give an answer, especially to my toddler. I don't want her to remember me as always saying no. I don't want my husband to think of me as "no fun Jess" anymore. I don't want to be so hard on myself and tell myself no for everything without considering if it would actually be good for me.

It's time I start to add a pause before answering with an automatic no. I think that will help me live a fuller, happier, more interesting life.

No comments: