Friday, October 24, 2008

Rain's Surgery

Most of those who know me, know that my dog had to go into surgery yesterday to remove a mast cell tumor that was on her neck. I thought I'd let you all know how she is and post a few pictures of how sad she looked last night (she was probably just seriously groggy, but Wil and I had trouble not laughing at her a few times).

Wil dropped her off early in the morning so she could get x-rays and blood work done to make sure that the one tumor was the only one she had. The results came back on that around 11 am. As far as they could tell with the tests they'd done, Rain only had the one tumor. The vet called me to let me know of the potential things that could happen with the surgery. I'm not going to go into that. I felt better after talking to her, and was finally able to relax a little about how Rain was doing. She went into surgery about an hour later.

Around 6 pm, the vet called and talked to Wil. He was told that the surgery went great and we could pick her up around 7:30 or 8. He was also told that they didn't have to cut into the muscle like they thought they would so Rain's pain would also be less than they thought it would be. When we went to pick her up, the vet tech went over what we need to do with her to make sure she heals. She needs three different pills taken once or twice a day.

When we got home, we gave Rain the pills she needed and put her on her bed in the kitchen while I made dinner. She was clearly exhausted but seemed to refuse to fall asleep. It was ridiculous. I could tell how tired she was and it was killing me to see her like that. I even tried laying on the floor next to her to try to get her to go to sleep. She did relax and laid her head on my arm with our noses touching, but she heard a sound and she made herself be as alert as she could be. Finally, she passed out and didn't wake up until I had to move her into her kennel for the night.

This morning, she seemed a lot more like herself. She was wagging her tail and really excited to see me when I let her out. She didn't jump around like she used to (which is actually nice because it allows me to walk without almost falling over her). It was really cute because she just stuck by my side as I got her food then started to eat while I got her pills ready. I think she smelled the peanut butter because a few seconds after I got it opened, she was timidly walking back inside (she knows she's not allowed inside unless we tell her to come in). I gave her the pills hidden in peanut butter, took her to go potty, and then put her back in her kennel since Wil wasn't awake to watch her yet.

Wil should be taking her to the vet soon so they can remove the bandage on her neck and make sure the surgery site looks good. All seems to be going as well as can be expected. Rain is very happy to be home with us again (which is probably why she didn't want to fall asleep..she was probably afraid that she'd wake up with more of her shaven and in more pain). The pictures were taken last night while I made dinner and watched her.


Jenn said...

I'm glad the surgery went well and hope Rain recovers quickly.

Becca said...

Oh, Jess, I'm so glad it turned out all right. Your dog looks so much like mine and I love him to death. Our other dog had sugery years ago and I know how stressful it is. Hope your pup heals quickly!